Most people have heard from someone or read that it is important to drink water and if you ask they will probably even tell you “8 glasses of water” a day is the required amount. But do most people actually understand how important it is to keep hydrated?
I have always enjoyed drinking water but it wasn’t until I decided to live a healthy lifestyle that I fully understood its positive effects on my bodily functions. Since the beginning of the year I have lost 15lbs and am much healthier than I have been in years. Keeping fully hydrated has been one of the main contributors to my health.
So how exactly does water help with weight loss you might ask. The connection is indirect of course, as I will list in a few points below. Hope this helps!
1. Most of the times when I feel the urge to eat/snack, I am not necessarily hungry but dehydrated. Drinking a glass of water with a slice of lemon(more on this soon) quenches my thirst and I realize that I don’t really need that snack.
2. When your body is properly hydrated your cells can function at an optimum level. This of course includes they way you burn fat and hence lose weight.
3. Water therefore increases metabolism by increasing your energy and the way your cells work
4. When your metabolic rate is high the amount of calories you can eat is high (yay! you don’t have to keep counting those calories now)
5. Dehydration inhibits exercise performance. Keep hydrated and you are more likely to have a successful 40 minutes at the gym.
Note: I drink a cup of warm water in the morning with a slice of lemon to start my day and detox my digestive system. In between meals during the day I drink a cool glass of water with a slice of lemon and frozen fruit to spice things up 😀